Air pods created a buzz when the producers first introduced them to the market. They were quite a revolution in the audio device industry, and all the Apple users wanted to grab their pair of Air pods. Air pods are preferred over regular wired headphones for a variety of reasons. It makes it easier to move around the place, and you do not have to waste any time detangling the wires as they are not even there in the case of Air pods. They can be easily carried around and used for various purposes, such as making calls, playing music, and talking to Siri.
However, tech experts have always had their doubts about the efficiency and functionality of this product. You may have wondered how far you can take the air pods from the iPhone before they stop giving audio input. Often you might forget to carry your phone when going around, and suddenly, they lose their connection. If you are sitting in your workplace or anywhere else and need to move around and do not wish to carry your iPhone but want the Air pods to keep working, you need to know the effective range of the Air pods.
Thus, this article will tell you some main features of the product and will help you understand the range of connections of the Apple Air pods.
Essential Features Of The AirPods
As mentioned above, Air pods can be used for various purposes. They are known for their exceptional sound quality and high-resolution audio input, and if they fall out of position, the content pauses automatically. Air pods are also fluid-resistant and hence do not damage from water and sweat. Below are some of the essential and leading features of the Air pods, which can help you understand the utility of this product and why they are preferred over conventional wired earphones.
- Battery Life – The battery life of the Air pods is critical in determining their performance. When the battery is fully charged, you can make a phone call for up to 3 hours and listen to music for up to 5 hours. The unit of charging is very light and charging the Air pods for just 15 minutes can enable you to use them for 3 hours straight.
- User-friendly Interface – Air pods have a user-friendly interface. Various functions of your phone can be used even when you’re away from the phone or in an optimal range. You only need to tap on the buds to communicate, adjust and listen to audios, or check the weather. They are easy to use, and you can operate a plethora of activities without having to touch your phone.
- Connectivity – The wireless connectivity with high stability is an essential feature of the Air pods, proving its USP (Unique Selling Proposition). Given the H1 chip of the headphone, Air pods can quickly be connected and swap different devices easily with a two times faster speed.
How Far Away From The Phone Can You Take Your Airpods?
There are two kinds in the range of connection: the optimal degree of connection and the maximum capacity of the connection. As recommended, the company’s optimal range is between 10 to 18 meters or 30 to 60 feet. The range at which you should use the Air pods according to their design is the optimal range. This implies that you can freely move around for enough distance without carrying your phone with yourself in your pocket.
On the other hand, the maximum range is the range you can stretch to without any compromise in the performance of the Air pods. Experts have tested the maximum capacity to understand the resilience of the product. Thus, the full range of these Air pods is a little over 60 feet, and the earphones can play interruption-free music at this distance. In open spaces, the performance is enhanced, and there are lesser interruptions even if you go beyond the maximum range.
You should note that this is a result of tests by the users, and the company does not provide this information or any other official information about the maximum range of the Air pods. Any device with Bluetooth connectivity is compatible with the Air pods, and they can be virtually connected to such devices. Using a device of Apple iOS maximizes the range of the Air pods. Another thing to note here is that the effective range of the Air pods also depends on the Bluetooth version of the device. While the older versions often require you to keep the phone closer, the newer and better versions of Bluetooth can adapt to good connectivity over a greater and extended range.
Also, both first and second-generation Air pods are almost similar without any noticeable difference. Therefore, if you have the first-generation Air pods, they will work just fine, and you need not purchase the costlier second-generation product. However, there is a slight difference in the functioning of the Air pods of the first generation from that of the second generation. You will need to double-tap on either bud in the first generation to activate Siri. On the other hand, in the second-generation Air pods, you only need to say “Hey Siri!” and the assistant comes up for you.
How To Connect The Air pods?
1. Connecting Air pods to your Apple device
- Step 1: To connect the Air pods to your Apple device, ensure that the device is updated. After updating the phone, put the Air pods in their case and place them next to your iPhone.
- Step 2: Next, unlock the phone. On doing this, an animation is displayed on the screen.
- Step 3: A ‘Connect’ option can be seen, which you need to tap. Once you tap on it, your phone pairs with the Air pods on its own.
- Step 4: All instructions will be displayed on the screen, and you will be required to follow them to connect your phone and Air pods completely.
- Step 5: A ‘Done’ option is also displayed, which you can tap once the connection is complete.
2. Connecting Air pods to an Android device
Air pods can also be connected to Android devices with the below steps:
- Step 1: To connect your Android phone to the Air pods, you need to first turn on your Bluetooth from the settings.
- Step 2: After Bluetooth has been activated, you need to wait till Air pods are shown. The Air pods should be kept close to the phone in their case.
- Step 3: Once this is done, you need to open the lid of the case and press the button, which can be seen underneath.
- Step 4: When done correctly, the LEDs present on the case will flash white. This tells you that the connection is complete.
3. Connecting Air pods to your MacBook
Air pods can also be connected to your MacBook with these steps:
- Step1: If the Air pods that you have are of the second generation, the MacBook needs to be at least Mojave 10.14.4. However, Air pods Pro can be connected to Catalina 10.15.1.
- Step 2: To pair the Air pods to the MacBook, you need to turn on the Bluetooth in your MacBook. Keep the Air pods in the case close to the device and open the lid.
- Step 3: After this, you need to press and hold the button at the back of the air pods’ case. If the LEDs flash white, the MacBook has recognized your air pods.
- Step 4: On your MacBook, select the Air pods and choose the ‘Connect’ option on your MacBook. After connecting, you will need to select Air pods as the main audio output choice from the volume control. At times, it is auto-selected.
How To Reset The Air pods?
Resetting the Air pods is needed when you face any issues with them. The problems you could encounter may be some difficulty while connecting the Air pods, or they might not be charging correctly. Resetting the air pods solves such problems.
- Step 1: To reset the air pods, you can put them back in the case and close them. After around 30 seconds, open the case.
- Step 2: Then, open the device’s Bluetooth settings and locate your air pods.
- Step 3: Once that is done, tap on the ‘Forget’ option. A
- Step 4: After this, press and hold the Setup button on the case while the case lid is still open.
- Step 5: Once the LEDs flash amber, you can release the button. This might take around 15 seconds. This resets the air pods in the mode of factory settings.
- Step 6: To reconnect the air pods to your device again, you can follow the above-mentioned steps.
1. What connectivity do AirPods use?
The Airpods from Apple use the Apple H1 headphone chip, which is one of the fastest and most stable wireless connections for your devices. You can rely on this for ensuring optimal connection because it offers 2x faster connection.
2. How far is the connectivity of AirPods?
Your AirPods can function anywhere between 30-60 feet of your iPhone. So, if you are within that radius, you should be able to listen to what’s playing on your iPhone. However, the more the distance, the feeble the connection.
3. Can you use AirPods without Internet?
If you have locally stored or saved music or podcasts or even videos on your iPhone that you wish to listen to or watch, you can connect your Airpods to sort that out. You don’t need an internet connection for the same at all.
4. Do AirPods use Bluetooth or WiFi?
Airpods are connected to your iPhone or iPad using Bluetooth wireless connectivity. If you thought it was Wi-Fi connecting the accessory, you were mistaken. You need a stable Bluetooth connection to be able to connect your Airpods and then listen to music or even use it to answer calls, watch videos, etc.
For the air pods to work well, they have to be charged on a regular basis and thus, you should keep its charging case handy. Given their small size, they can easily be misplaced, so you need to ensure that you do not lose them because they are also expensive products. However, if you lose them, they can be tracked down using the ‘Find my iPhone’ feature. Air pods are user-friendly and handy and should be utilized considering the optimal range of connection. They will allow you to move freely within this range and stretch it to the maximum range. Beyond the maximum range, you will not get to hear the audio, and your air pods might malfunction.